Tuesday, April 10, 2012
10 Super Foods
These ten health foods are some of the healthiest that fit within these three criteria....
* Are a good source of fiber, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.
* Are high in phytonutrients and antioxidants, like Vitamins A and E and beta carotene.
* May help reduce the risk of heart disease and other health conditions.
These 10 Super foods are all easy to find too! They are listed here in alphabetical order.
1) Apples ~ Apples are awonderful souce of soluble fiber that can help lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. They are are a great source of Vitamin C... an antioxidant that protects your body's cells from damage.
2) Almonds ~ Almonds are packed with nutrients - fiber, riboflavin, magnesium, iron and calcium. Almonds have more calcium than any other nut. They are also good for your heart. They have monounsaturated fat which is a healthier type of fat that helps to lower blood cholesterol levels.
3) Blueberries ~ Blueberries are a rich source of plant compounds. Blueberries may help prevent urinary tract infections. They also help improve short-term memory and promote healthy aging.
4) Broccoli ~ Broccoli is a great source of Vitamins A and C. It is also a good source of calcium, potassium, folate and fiber.
5) Red Beans ~ Red beans, like small red beans and dark red kidney beans, are good sources of iron, magnesium, phosphorus, copper and thiamin. They are a great low fat source of protein and fiber. Red beans may help prevent chronic diseases like heart diesease and cancer.
6) Salmon ~ Salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids - a type of fat that makes your blood less likely to form clots that can cause heart attacks. Omega-3's also protect against irregular heartbeats that may cause sudden cardiac death, lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of a stroke.
7) Spinach ~ Spinach is high in Vitamins A and C and folate. It's a good source of riboflavin, vitamin B-6, calcium, iron and magnesium. It may also keep your hair and skin healthy.
8) Sweet Potatoes ~ Sweet Potatoes are high in the antioxidant beta carotene. These help slow the aging process and reduce the risk of some cancers. Sweet potatoes are a good source of fiber, Vitamins B-6, C and E, folate and potassium. Like all vegetables they are fat-free (until you add the butter) and low in calories.
9) Vegetable Juice ~ Vegetable juice has most of the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients found in the original vegetables and is an easy way to include vegetables in your diet. Tomato juice and vegetable juice includes tomatoes, which are a good source of lycopene, an antioxidant which may reduce the risk of heart attack and cancers. Some vegetable juices are high in sodium so read the label for the low-sodium variety.
10) Wheat Germ ~ At the center of the wheat grain is the wheat germ. It is a highly concentrated source of nutrients and also contains protein, fiber and some fat. It is easy to sprinkle in foods, cereals and mixes. It's good in pancakes.
So, now see how many of these Super Foods you can add to your daily diet. They are good for you , but taste good too. Have fun eating to be healthy.
Deborah Mumm, The Allergy Queen