Tuesday, April 26, 2011
10 Tips to Help you Sleep Better
1) Exercise--- 30 minutes 4 times per week will improve sleep quality.
2) Cherries--- This fruit is rich in melatonin which helps the body regulate the sleep cycle.
3) Same Time Ritual--- Try to go to bed at the same time every night.
4) Chill Out ---- A cool bedroom lowers your core body temperature, which initiates sleepiness.
5) Relax--- A warm bath with lavender or rose oil will calm the nerves, and raise your body temperature to help you fall asleep faster.
6) Sheet Quality --- Choose sheets that you love. Crisp and cool, go with percale. Prefer soft and cozy? Then go with sateen or flannel. A long lasting linen is an Egyptian cotton.
7) Lights off--- Turn off the TV or computer. Face the alarm clock away from you so you don’t see the time during the night and then start thinking of the day ahead.
8) Sleep Sideways--- Snoring, besides bothering a partner, can wake you up. Airways are most blocked when on your back, so sleep on your side.
9) Cut Coffee—Cut out coffee or other caffeine by 2 pm. It may be difficult to cut out caffeine when you hit your afternoon slump, but take a walk or drink a glass of water instead.
10) Mattress—Choose the mattress that is not too hard or too soft. Flip and rotate your mattress every few months to avoid lumps or sags.
Deborah Mumm, The Allergy Queen