Go to any grade school or high school sporting event. Take a peek at the sideline bench and note how many inhalers you see. Did you know that the number one reason children miss school is asthma? Why the explosion of asthma and respiratory problems in children?
These are the four reasons respiratory problems are on the rise!
1) 'Couch Potato Generation' - kids weigh more, exercise less and spend more time indoors.
2) Too much antibiotic use - Immune systems never get much opportunity to fight infections, and then react abnormally to airborne contaminants.
3) Air Pollution -Pollution does not cause asthma but can be a trigger for an attack. Cars and factories now have stricter controls on emissions but the problem is still there.
4) Indoor Air Pollution - 20 years ago no one ever heard of Indoor Pollution!
Since the Energy Crisis in the 70's, buildings became more energy efficient. This meant all pollutants became trapped inside. Many of the items we furnish our home and school with are outgassing contaminants continually. Carpeting, curtains, cleaning products, particle board furniture and more! With people spending 90-% of their days indoors, this becomes a problem!
What can you do to protect your kids from asthma or allergy reactions? Here are seven allergy proofing tips!
1) Watch for days when pollen counts are high and restrictvigorous exercise on hot days.
2) Avoid Wood Stoves and fireplaces in the home and NEVER allow smoking in the home of an asthmatic.
3) Keep pets out of the bedrooms.
4) Make sure kitchen, bathrooms, and basement are well ventilated to cut down on mold in humidity.
5) Put pillows and mattresses in allergen-impermeable covers to cut down exposure to dust mites.
6) Use non-toxic cleaning products and avoid perfumes and scented products.
7) A filter-less air purifier is highly recommended since a filter can only capture a small portion of allergens.
Other Recent EzineArticles